Bazaar 2.0.1 and 2.1.0b1 have now 'gone gold' in that I've uploaded the official tarballs, and asked people to make installers for them. Once installers are made, then we'll make the official announcement.
For those who haven't been following, Bazaar has now split its releases into 2 series. The 2.0.x series is based on 2.0.0 and has only bugfixes. Things that could cause compatibility problems (new features, removal of deprecated code, etc.) is only done in the 2.1.0.x series. We're hoping that this can give people some flexibility, as well as giving us more flexibility. In the past, we've suffered a bit trying to maintain backwards compatibility for some features/bugfixes, only to break compatibility for a big feature. Instead of suffering the worst of both, we're trying to get the best of both. If something needs to break compatibility, it just goes in the dev branch. Note that the development branch is still considered 'stable', in that the test suite always passes, and the code is pretty much always ready for a release. We just don't make the same guarantees about stable internal apis for 3rd parties to use.
The other change to the process is to stop doing as many "release candidate" builds. Instead, we will just cut a release. If there are problems, we'll cut the next release sooner. The chance for regressions in the 'bugfix-only' 2.0.x series should be low, and getting away from pre-builds means less overhead. We will still be doing releases we call 'rc1' before the next major stable release (2.1.0), and in that vein we expect to do little-to-no changes from the rc1 to the final build.
However, this new system does increase overhead for a single release. As now it is equivalent to doing the rc and the final in the same day. Also, because we now have 2 "integration" branches, it requires a bit more coordination between them.
For example, this is the revision graph for the recent 2.0.1 and 2.1.0b1 release
The basic workflow that I used was something like
- Have a LOSA create 2 release branches lp:~bzr-pqm/bzr/2.0.1 and lp:~bzr-pqm/bzr/2.1.0b1
- Create a local branch of each
- Create another branch for doing my updates in, such as lp:~jameinel/bzr/2.0.1
- Update 2.0.1 with a new version string
- Update NEWS to clean it up, show that there is an official release, and provide a summary/overview of the changes.
- Land this update into the official 2.0.1 branch via PQM. (Unfortunately this can take up to 2 hours depending on a bunch of different factors. We are trying to get this down to more like 10 min.)
- Update my local copy from the final release. Tag it (bzr-2.0.1).
- Create the tarball
- Create the release launchpad
- Upload the tarball to the release
- While this is going on, go through the bugtracker and make sure that things mentioned in NEWS have the appropriate "Fix Released" state in the bug tracker, as well as being associated with the right milestones. With 34 bugfixes, this is a non-trivial undertaking.
- Merge the 2.0.1 final release into the 2.1.0b1 branch. (All bugfixes in the stable series are candidates for merging at any time into the development series.)
- Do lots of cleanup in NEWS. The main difficulty here is that bugfixes are present on 2 integration branches simultaneously, and those releases are slightly independent. We've talked about having the bugfix mentioned in both sections. Which would be more important if we ever make a development release without doing the corresponding stable release.
- Do steps 4-10 again for 2.1.0b1.
- While working or waiting on that, prepare lp:~bzr-pqm/bzr/2.0 since it is now going to be prepped for 2.0.2. This involves, bumping the version number, updating NEWS with blank entries for the next release (avoids some conflicts for people landing changes in that branch), and submitting all of that back to PQM.
- When that has finished, bring the 2.0 stable branch back into bzr.dev. And prepare bzr.dev for 2.1.0b2. (version number bumps, NEWS cleanups, etc.)
- In this case, cleaning up NEWS was again a bit of a chore. As now you have a file that should have a blank area for both the 2.1.0b2 changes, but also the 2.0.2 changes. Further, some of the changes that landed in bzr.dev in the mean-time, were not included in the 2.1.0b1 release. So you have to move them up into the new section. Getting NEWS right across 4 branches was quite a bit of work, and probably the hardest part (so far) of the process. Copy & Paste + bzr diff + bzr vimdiff we quite helpful here. Setting the news in bzr.dev to the exact copy from 'bzr-2.1.0b1' and then showing what was removed/added was a nice way to make sure to get everything .
- Announce the tarballs, etc on the bzr mailing list, so that people can start preparing packages/installers.
- I'm also the windows installer packager, so I get to build around 8 installers... (standalone installers, and 3 python [2.4, 2.5, 2.6] installers.) Most of this is scripted, but often something breaks along the way.
- Update Pypi, freshmeat, ... with updates for the new versions. Twice. (At least here we did not update for 'rc' versions. So this work is strictly doubled.)
So here's to everyone upgrading to their preferred release (in about a week's time).